John Chatterton/MITF Presents
Midwinter Madness Seeks
Plays for February 2015
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: January 1, 2015
Dear Friend in the Theatre,
I'm looking for new one-act plays for the Fourth Annual Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival, happening in February 2015 at Roy Arias Studios. People are already submitting scripts, which I hope is a harbinger of a massive increase in this season's Festival (last year we had about 30 plays and musicals). Details are straightforward:
• Dates for the next Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival are Feb. 9 - Mar. 1, 2015.
• Plays should run 30 – 60 min.
• Scripts should be formatted in standard playscript format.*
• You produce the play; the Festival provides the theatre.
• Productions must be non-union: no showcases or Equity waivers, please!
• Keep production values to a minimum: costumes and hand props are okay. We provide rehearsal cubes, chairs, and a table or two, with little overnight storage.
• We provide a board op, box office, and venue management.
• There is a $100 participation fee, to pay an increased technical staff. Shows receive half the net (revenue from any tickets sold over
40% of the total available)
• Tickets are typically $15 – 20, depending on length of the show. Each playwright, producer, and director gets to watch his/her show for free. There are no other comps. All comps are non-transferable. There are various discounts, for groups, family/friends, and packages.
• There is a tech rehearsal, typically during business hours on the day a show opens. Tech rehearsals last 2.5
times the running time of the show.
• Performances take place every day of the week. Unless a show requests it (as a children’s show might), performances take place on weekday evenings and weekend afternoons and evenings.
• Every play gets 3 performances. We don't do staged readings. Be off-book, please!
• If we can manage it, plays from the Festival are eligible for awards, usually given at the awards ceremony of the Midtown International Theatre Festival.
*12 pt Times Roman; character names in the middle on their own line; line spaces between speeches and stage directions; indented stage directions; 1" margins all around.
I've presented a lot of Festivals, and I have a special interest in one-act plays. They're an easy, cheap, and fun way to see your work on its feet. To submit a script, send it as an attachment in ms word to: email@example.com. Any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me an E-mail!
Executive producer, Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival,
Midtown International Theatre Festival, and Short Play Lab