If you want to go to the next Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival
Plays will be announced here. Tickets will be on sale here. If you need assistance placing your order,
call OvationTix customer service toll-free: 866-811-4111.
Customer service hours: 9am - 9pm M-F; 10am - 6pm Sat + Sun (Eastern Time).
We set ticket prices, plus a service fee set by OvationTix. Seating is by general admission
About the Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival
The Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival comprises a whole bunch of short plays,
all performed in repertory (usually 3 performances each, spread over 1 week; the Festival lasts 3 weeks).
If you want to take part in the Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival
playwright or producer
Here are the guidelines for the Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival:
• Dates for the next Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival are Feb. 9 - Mar. 1, 2015.
• Plays should run 30 – 60 min.
• Scripts should be formatted in standard playscript format.*
• You produce the play; the Festival provides the theatre.
• Productions must be non-union: no showcases or Equity waivers, please!
• Keep production values to a minimum: costumes and hand props are okay. We provide rehearsal cubes, chairs, and a table or two, with little overnight storage.
• We provide a board op, box office, and venue management.
• There is a $100 participation fee, to pay an increased technical staff. Shows receive half the net (revenue from any tickets sold over
40% of the total available)
• Tickets are typically $15 – 20, depending on length of the show. Each playwright, producer, and director gets to watch his/her show for free. There are no other comps. All comps are non-transferable. There are various discounts, for groups, family/friends, and packages.
• There is a tech rehearsal, typically during business hours on the day a show opens. Tech rehearsals last 2.5
times the running time
of the show.
• Performances take place every day of the week. Unless a show requests it (as a children’s show might), performances take place on weekday evenings and weekend afternoons and evenings.
• Every play gets 3 performances. We don't do staged readings. Be off-book, please!
• If we can manage it, plays from the Festival are eligible for awards, usually given at the awards ceremony of the Midtown International Theatre Festival.
*12 pt Times Roman; character names in the middle on their own line; line spaces above character names and stage directions; indented stage directions. Please submit scripts in MS-Word.
The Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival is a lot of fun and a good way to see your work on its feet in a supportive environment. It's also a great way to see actors and directors at work, so you can recruit people for later productions. It’s also a good way to start working with me; I produce a lot of Festivals and whatnot in New York City, from the Short Play Lab to the Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival to the Midtown International Theatre Festival. (It’s also a good way for me to take the measure of people I might work with in the future.)
To submit a script, send it as an attachment
Feel free to contact me with any more questions.
If you want to take part in the Midwinter Madness Short Play Festival as an actor, director, or whatever
If you’re a member of Facebook, go there and search for the “Short Play Lab” group page (the Festival shares a
lot with the Lab).
It’s a closed group devoted to participants in my festivals, who post breakdowns and other information there. (Alumni also post information about whatever they’re currently working on.)
Just send us a friend request, and we’ll add you as a member of the group.