The Short Play Lab is a repertory of approximately 20 Real Short Plays – 10 minutes or less. They are grouped into 2 programs, A and B. A play is in either program but not both. Each program gets 2 performances. Program A performances are at 7 pm on Saturday and 4 pm on Sunday. Program B performances are 9 pm on a Saturday and 2 pm on Sunday. The Lab takes place approximately 5 times during the season (3 are concurrent with MITF Festivals, in Spring, Summer, and Fall.
Okay, that’s the nuts and bolts of the Lab. But what is its mission?
The mission of the Short Play Lab is to give everyone an opportunity to field his/her short play on a Midtown Manhattan (so far) stage, the Off-Off-Broadway kind known as a black box. (We still read all the plays and reject those that are unworkable in our framework, or if we have too many plays. The latter we try to reschedule them for a later SPL). We provide shared scenery, a space, a publicist, marketing, promotion on the Web, and even production photos. We sell tickets and keep the door. The most popular show (by show of hands) gets a cash prize, currently $75.
Dates for MITF: Summer Short Play Lab: July 15-16, 2017.
The Lab will be at WorkShop Theater’s Main Stage Theater, 312 W.36th St., NYC.
Here is the complete breakdown of rules for the Short Play Lab:
Short Play Lab Guidelines
• Plays should be 1 - 10 pp. in standard playscript format.* (The shorter the better; shorter plays get priority.) Include a title page, as the first page of the script, with your contact info (only means of contact is by email).
• Submit scripts in a MS Word document or PDF file.
• Pages must be numbered
• You produce the play whether or not you live in New York. The SPL provides the theatre.
• Productions must be non-union: no showcases please! (And no Equity waivers, either.)
• Keep production values to a minimum: costumes and hand props are okay. We provide rehearsal cubes, chairs, and a table. You can't leave your stuff in the theatre overnight.
• Plays that use guns as props will not be considered.
• We provide a board op, box office, and venue management.
• There are no fees. The SPL keeps the door.
• Tickets are $20. Each playwright and director gets to watch his/her show for free. There are no other comps.
• There is a tech rehearsal, on Sat. afternoon. Plays get no more than 30 mins of tech. The tech director gets in touch with the shows by E-mail approx. 2 weeks prior to showtime, to get lighting and sounds cues and establish a rehearsal and performance protocol.
• Every play gets 2 performances, 1 on Sat. and 1 on Sun. Each play will be part of 1 of 2 programs: Program A or Program B, but not both. Program A takes place at 7 pm Sat. and 4 pm Sun. Program B takes place at 9 pm Sat.and 2 pm Sun.
• We don't do staged readings. Be off-book, please! Plays not off-book during tech will be removed from the line-up.
• THE MOST POPULAR PRODUCTION IN EACH PROGRAM RECEIVES A CASH PRIZE OF $75. Winners are determined by polling patrons after the performance. The playwright, director, and actors cannot vote for their play. We reserve the right to break ties.
*12 pt Times Roman; character names in the middle on their own line; line spaces between speeches and stage directions; indented stage directions.
The SPL is a lot of fun and a good way to see your work on its feet in a supportive environment. It's also a great way to see actors and directors at work, so you can recruit people for later productions.
To submit a script, send it as an attachment, in a Word document or PDF file, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me an E-mail!
Submission Deadline For MITF: Summer Short Play Lab is June 20, 2017.